Test Bank For Introduction to Chemistry 5th Edition by Rich Bauer
Chapter 1 Matter and Energy
1) Which of the following is not an example of matter?
A) a rock
B) a hot-air balloon
C) carbon dioxide in your exhaled breath
E) heat from a barbeque grill
2) Which of the following is not an example of matter?
B) light from a candle
D) the propellant in an aerosol can
E) a stain on clothing
3) Which of the following is an example of matter?
B) light from an incandescent bulb
C) helium in a balloon
D) heat from a car’s radiator
E) all of these are correct
4) Which of the following does not apply to a chemical compound?
A) A chemical compound consists of two or more elements.
B) The elements in a compound are combined in definite proportions.
C) The characteristics of the compound are different from the characteristics of the elements from which it is made.
D) Compounds can be separated into their constituent elements using only physical methods.
E) A chemical compound can also be classified as a pure substance.
5) Which of the following statements regarding elements is incorrect?
A) Elements are the simplest building block of matter.
B) Elements cannot be broken down into simpler substances even by chemical means.
C) Some elements are not naturally occurring, and have been synthesized by scientists.
D) As the Greeks had thought, water is an element.
E) Elements are classified using a periodic table.
6) A combination of two or more substances that can be separated by using only a physical process is
A) an element.
B) a compound.
C) a mixture.
D) a substance.
E) a composition.
7) Which of the following is an example of a pure substance?
B) tap water
C) aluminum in a soda can (not considering the paint or plastic coatings)
D) river water
8) Which of the following is an example of a pure substance?
A) a copper wire
D) a piece of carpet
E) ocean water
9) Which of the following is not an example of a mixture?
B) iced tea
C) 24-carat gold
E) a person
10) Which image(s) in the figure represents a pure elemental substance?
A) image A
B) image B
C) image C
D) images A and B
E) image E
There are no reviews yet.