Test Bank For Introduction to International Disaster Management 3rd Edition By Damon P. Coppola
Chapter 9: Participants: Nongovernmental Organizations (Including the Private Sector and Academia)
1. Outdated stereotypes labeled NGOs as being which of the following?
a. The backbone of disaster management
b. Invaluable and irreplaceable
*c. Idealists that interfered with the response
d. Corrupt organizations that could not be trusted
2. Which of the following describes the majority of NGOs working in disasters and development?
*a. They are small in size.
b. They have no defined mission.
c. Their members have a widely varied backgrounds.
d. All of the above
3. Which of the following is most closely defined as an organization that is nonprofit, tax-exempt, and receives at least a part of its funding from private donor sources?
c. Donor agency
d. Coordinating organization
4. Which of the following is most closely defined as an organization with a global presence and influence?
a. Donor agency
b. Coordinating agency
5. Which of the following is not a common trait of the NGOs that work in disasters and humanitarian assistance?
*a. They are centralized in their organizational structure.
b. They value their independence and neutrality.
c. They are committed.
d. They are highly practice-oriented.
6. Which of the following describes the primary goal of NGOs involved in disaster management and humanitarian assistance?
a. Assist governments in reducing hazard vulnerability
*b. Reduce the pain and suffering of victims
c. Reduce the national government’s reliance on foreign assistance
d. Satisfy donors
7. What entities provide the greatest amount of operational and financial support to developing countries so that they may achieve higher levels of preparedness and mitigation success?
*a. Governments and multilateral organizations
b. Private businesses
c. Nongovernmental organizations
d. None of the above
8. Which of the following organizations is representative of the category of NGOs that is involved almost exclusively in the emergency phase of disasters?
a. Habitat for Humanity
*c. Air-Serv International
d. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
9. How do NGOs fund their operations?
a. Fundraising campaigns
b. Competitive grants
*c. Both a and b
d. Neither a nor b
10. Which of the following is key to the fundraising success of smaller NGOs involved in disaster response and recovery?
*a. Wide public recognition of the disaster
b. Involvement of the United Nations
c. Stability at the national government level
d. All of the above
There are no reviews yet.