Test Bank For Managing Diversity 3rd Edition By Barak
Chapter 2: Diversity Legislation in a Global Perspective
- The 1986 Equal Employment Opportunity Act revised in 2006 encouraged companies to:
A) Not ask for information about felony conviction in initial application
B) Eliminate existing gender gaps and discrimination in their workforce
C) Increase the pay gap between men and women
D) Not review employee social media accounts as a basis for employment
- In what year did the United Nation’s General Assembly adopt the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?
- To practice in today’s global economy, managers need a framework to understand:
A) Discrimination policies
B) Legislative and business-related social policies
C) International human rights
D) All of the above
- According to Dothard and Rawlinson (1977), was the prison that turned down a woman because she did not meet the minimum height and weight requirements to become a prison guard in violation with the law?
Ans: B; the minimum weight and height requirement was reasonable and therefore non-discriminatory. The 1991 Civil Rights Act now provides a practice that is seemingly neutral (height and weight), but has discriminatory impact (i.e. excluding women) which violates the law.
- The International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights entered into force on January 3, 1976. As of June 2012, the Covenant had been ratified or acceded to by how many states?
- The principles of secularism in the public arena (as in Turkey) and of freedom from religion (as in France) are used to justify:
A) A ban on gender discrimination in schools and in the workplace
B) A ban on different languages in schools and in the workplace
C) A ban on prominent religious attire in schools and in the workplace
D) Appropriate religious attire in schools and the workplace
- An important evolution of the law now requires that the judge or jury see harassment through the eyes of the:
B) Reasonable Person
- Employees who are treated unfairly are more likely to be less ___________ and less ____________.
A) Motivated; Trustworthy
B) Creative; Dedicated
C) Productive; Loyal
D) All of the Above
- The directive on the equal treatment of persons in the labor market, adopted by the EU Council of Ministers on June 7, 2000, and amended October 5, 2002, calls for all EU members to:
A) Adopt antiharassment programs
B) Set up national bodies and civil remedies to ensure their enforcement
C) Encourage employers to take measures to combat all forms of sexual discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace
D) All of the above
- Often the obstacles for implementation are ___________ and long-existing __________ that are discriminatory
A) Non-traditional; theories
B) Superficial; problems
C) Traditional; cultural practices
D) Simple; cultural practices
There are no reviews yet.